Living next to the stadium: Won’t you be my neighbor?

There are soda and Gatorade bottles tossed around and bright stadium fluorescents shadowing the student body, only this isn’t conjured up in the towering silver stadium– this is the scene that greets anyone fortunate to live by the school.

Any football devotee or Friday night stadium spectator is familiar with the clamor of roaring student sections and sports gear crashing against opposing players but not in the same way as the neighbors of the high school’s stadium. This situation is palatable if one is an enthusiastic fan. The appeals of the teams and clubs have been obtained and suitably covered, but sparing a thought of empathy for people who know little about games but know all-too-well what comes aren’t often voiced.

Sophomore Jack Boston discusses how, if given the chance, he could hop the fence to get onto the football stadium’s turf from his house. During the games, Boston can hear the chants from the crowds when he isn’t at the seasonal scrimmages.
“The football games are usually the loudest, but I can hear the metronome and the marching band’s beat when they practice out there too,” he says.

Boston is normally in the crowd himself, decked in the Blue Crew themed attire. This week, Boston was part of the ovation dripped in head to toe blue spirit gear.
“Most of the time I’m part of the student section, so I’m not the one in my family that would know if the noise levels are too disruptive,” Boston mentions.

In addition, Boston describes how many of his neighbors don’t mind the noise all that much. Due to the former grand opening of the stadium, home values have increased along with demand. People are more than eager to move closer to the stadium.

“I used to live on Railroad road and it was quite, and when my parents were looking to purchase a different house, the cost of living was much higher than what we would have expected,” Boston states.
With the installment of Perry’s stadium, the roads endured repairments, sidewalks were implemented and the surrounding neighborhoods were intended to be refurbished. Living near an arena — or transversely from a high school — permits lots of advantages: frequent crime and police security, plowing during snowy seasons, and a playground for children when school is not in session.
Taking in the atmosphere with awe and bafflement is junior Sui Par, who mentions, how she too can overhear the football games at her dining room table. For Par, her family has settled quickly and easily into the noise adjustment.

“We’ve gotten used to it by now,” Par mentions.

Par and a group of friends usually watch the game from the comfort of her backyard. With the responsibility of watching her siblings, experiencing the game is more manageable.

Like Par, Boston spends time with friends at his house, often times having dinner or a cookout. Par and her friends have watched all of the games that have occured only from

“We sit outside and watch the game from our backyard,” she mentions, “It’s nice not having to worry about buying a ticket or keeping our spots in the stands.”

Brad Wombles, a local resident, discusses how the stadium brings more annoyance to his mornings. Wombles intends for the weekend to be the time he can sleep in and relax. “Everything is louder now,” Wombles states.

The football games have never been the issue for Wombles.
“It’s the early morning peewee football games that take a toll after awhile, but the football games only occur about four times a year,” he says, “Those I don’t mind.”

Wombles also states that the noise and consistent practices are to be expected when living so close to a high school.

“If the fact that putting up with the sound means my kids can get to be involved with the school with more ease, than it’s worth it to me,” Wombles says.

Brad Wombles gaited from the firepit in his backyard, a plate decorated in cookout treats sitting on his chair, to give his opinion about the stadium.

Jack Boston, grouped together with fellow Falcons, sit patiently awaiting the first sweeping win for Perry’s football team.