Marching band takes second through heat and exhaustion

Equipped with a brass, woodwind or percussion instrument, marching band students stand and move in intense weather as they improve their performance. Although physically draining, students are often happy with their time.
Marching band is a recreational activity in which students perform a show combining the common, musical aspect of any band class and the physical, choreographed aspect of a march.
The activity lasts all year long with the students rehearsing during the summer and everyday after school and attending competitions throughout the year as they perfect the show.
On Saturday, Sept. 15, the marching band attended its first competition at Lawrence Central High School.
The Marching Falcons placed second in their class, a group of marching bands put together by size. They were defeated by last year’s state champions, Decatur Central High School, by a tenth of a point.
“It was really special to be that close to a group that was at that level,” marching band director Karl Vierling said.
During a normal week of school, marching band has four practices that last three hours each. In addition, students are faced with the three weeks of initial practices, each lasting nine to 12 hours, the summer before.
“The practices are super exhausting, physically and mentally,” junior and marching band member Malia Monalo commented, “Your body feels like your muscles are constantly stretched and then tightened together.”
To members, marching band is seen as one of the more demanding activities that the school offers. The fact that the practices take place outside and in the afternoon makes many participants exhausted. Even with the exhaustion, most students enjoy the practices and marching band as a whole.
“It takes time; it takes commitment; it takes determination; it takes, just, a whole lotta guts,” junior and marching band member Ethan Hunt says.
Marching band already has a sizeable member count, but Vierling is always looking for more people to join.
“I will never think marching band is big enough,” Vierling states. “Not because I think bigger is better or anything, but because I think that every kid would love marching band, if given the opportunity.”