Cadet Teaching produces learning opportunities

With supply for teachers falling short of the demand, the shortage of teachers is straining many schools throughout America. 

Students from Perry Meridian High School may aid the shortage in the future thanks to Cadet Teaching.

The Cadet Teaching program allows students to sample teaching by traveling to other schools in the township and aiding their classrooms.

These students assist teachers, help students and teach lessons. The Cadet Teachers leave for their classrooms three days a week before 7th period.

“It’s a chance to⁠—as a student—step into the shoes of a teacher,” senior Katie Jones says. “It’s a less intimidating version of a student teacher.”

The main benefit of Cadet Teaching is that students are able to try a career without dedicating themselves or their finances. The students get a much earlier look into teaching than do student teachers in college, who risk changing their minds after already committing tuition money.

An added benefit is that more students can be exposed to teaching, meaning more students might at least consider the occupation which has been often labeled too much work for the mediocre pay.

The median salary for Americans in 2017 was $61,372, while the median salary for American teachers was $59,170 in 2017, according to Investopedia and U.S. News respectively.

This marginal difference is why students in the Cadet Teaching program appreciate the chance to experiment with teaching.

“It helps develop your own teaching philosophy,” senior Jacob Mattingly says. “It helped me consider whether I would want to go into an education career or not.”