The Student News Site of Perry Meridian High School

FOCUS

FOCUS

FOCUS

’Tis the season

How PMHS students celebrate the Winter holidays
Melany Hernandez’ Nacimiento lights up for the Las Posadas celebrations.
Melany Hernandez

As the semester winds down, the holidays ramp up. Christmas may be the first winter holiday that comes to mind, but it is far from the only holiday that calls for a celebration this time of year. As one of the most diverse districts in the state, Perry students observe many special holidays during winter that include spending extra time with family and friends during these cold months.

Some PMHS students celebrate Día de la Virgen de Guadalupe, or Day of the Virgin of Guadalupe, on December 12. The holiday commemorates the day when the Virgin Mary is said to have appeared to an indigenous boy, Juan Diego, in 1531. Celebrations often include praying, singing and dancing. Traditionally there are parades that showcase the diversity of Mexico’s heritage along with fireworks and general revelry.

“Day of the Virgin of Guadalupe is a good holiday mixture of both culture and religion,” sophomore Kelly Romo said, “it always has a special place in the heart of Mexican people.”

Las Posadas is an integral aspect of the Christmas season for many Spanish speaking students and their families. Celebrated annually from December 16 to 24, the nine nights of parties are held at people’s homes accompanied by songs and Mexican cuisine, such as tamales and ponche Navideño (Mexican Christmas fruit punch). The celebration for Las Posadas continues all night long on Christmas Eve.

“My favorite part of Las Posadas is probably creating the nacimiénto,” senior Melany Hernandez said, “It is basically Jesus’ birthplace. We have a small house for it and we decorate it to make it look pretty.”

Some of Perry’s students celebrate Ethiopian Orthodox Christmas. “Our calendar is different. We follow the [Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church] Calendar,” freshman Azebesheb Eshi said. Ethiopian Orthodox Christmas is on Tahsas 29, which is their fourth month of the year. Both Ethiopian Orthodox Christmas and Western Christian Christmas are based on the estimated birth of Jesus and are traditionally religious holidays.

For many Chin students, Christmas day generally involves church services before heading home with family and friends. “In our Chin culture, here in the U.S, we do service at church,” senior Diana Hnin said. “However, back in Chin state they wait and celebrate December 1 with carloing and a traditional food called chang (steamed sticky rice wrapped in banana leaves).”

Winter break also sees the Christmas that many students think of with families gathering to exchange gifts, decorate their homes, and spend time together. Christmas is celebrated worldwide and has many traditions varying by family and culture. However, for some, December 25 does not always include a tree or presents.

“My family and I usually meet up with relatives and eat Chinese food or hotpot. The parents have conversations, and the kids usually play games. We don’t wrap or give gifts,” senior Colleen Li said. “I believe that I am more thankful and [content] for the things I have. Plus, my family sees gifts as more of what is bought (for each other) throughout the year rather than just Christmas.”

For many students this time of year helps build the strong bond of community here in Perry. “I love how November and December are just the holiday seasons,” senior Judy Abdall said. “Seeing how different religions and different people celebrate different holidays, and just being able to appreciate the holiday cheers, is a very comforting and warming feeling as society warms up together, especially in the colder months.”