The Student News Site of Perry Meridian High School

FOCUS

FOCUS

FOCUS

Winter Blues

a preview of the PMHS Winter Jazz Café
Damian Davis
The jazz band practices for their upcoming Winter Jazz Cafe on Saturday.

This year’s winter jazz cafe will feature some of the top groups from the PMHS music program, including Meridian Street Blues and Perry Pops Orchestra. The smooth jazz will be accompanied by a wide array of food and desserts.

Jazz band, Meridian Street Blues, will be performing six tunes at the cafe. The ensemble will start off with jazz staple, “Groove Merchant” by Jerome Richardson, and will feature solos from junior Connor Klipsh on trombone, senior Dylan Russell on trumpet and Isaiah von Harten on piano.

“Half the Fun” by Duke Ellington and Billy Strayhorn features an alto sax solo from senior Diego Lorenzo Zamora.  The piece aims to depict the story of Cleopatra and Roman general Mark Antony as they travel down the Nile. Lorenzo Zamora describes the piece as a “passionate… love story.”

“In the Still of the Night” by Cole Porter follows and relies heavily on solos from junior Solomon Thang on trombone, senior Brady Glinski on tenor sax, and many other top performers. The piece goes back and forth between a samba style and your typical American swing.

Lorenzo Zamora took his solo opportunity in the piece to “tell [his] story”. The lead saxophone player went on to emphasize his passion for both saxophone and the PMHS jazz program. “You’d have to experience it for yourself,” he said. “There’s no greater satisfaction than that.”  

Following the jazz standard, the band will slow the tempo down with Sammy Nestico’s laid-back “Hay Burner” and then enter a more somber tone with “Goodbye Pork Pie Hat” by Charles Mingus. Mingus’ song features a saxophone solo performed by Brady Glinski, a fitting performer considering the song was written as a tribute to legendary saxophone player Lester Young. 

This is contrasted with “La Fiesta” by Chick Corea, and you don’t have to to much to figure out what this upbeat tune is about.  Lorenzo Zamora puts it simply, “It’s party time”.

Senior Diego Lorenzo Zamora rehearses for his multitude of solos during the Dec. 16 Winter Jazz Cafe. (Damian Davis)

Perry Pops is an extracurricular jazz group for orchestra students. They only meet once a week on Wednesdays but will still bring five songs to the stage. 

They will be playing an arrangement of “Silent Night” arranged by Jeffery Turner, putting a jazzy feel on the holiday classic. Being the only song with solos on the setlist it is jam-packed with six strong performers. Liam Krider, Atlas Zimmerman, David Ruat, Giannah Stillabower, Eden Bunker and Thomas Thang. This arrangement “Tells a story” said senior Amani Purnell

Next on the setlist is “Jazzed-Up and High-Strung” by Brian Holmes. The alternative-style piece utilizes percussive elements in the bassline and builds tension throughout.

“A Fiddlin’ Christmas” Arranged by Bob Phillips is a Christmas medley combining classics including  “Jolly Old St. Nicholas” and “Jingle Bells” all wrapped together with some redneck twang. 

The group will end their night with “Bass-icly Christmas” arranged again by Bob Phillips. 

A bass player herself “It’s for the basses.” said Purnell regarding her favorite piece.

The basses are the primary voice carrying the timeless melodies of Christmas classics that show up all throughout this medley.

Jazz lab is an after-school ensemble for students to learn the basics of jazz and provides an avenue to experiment with new instruments. It has grown tremendously over recent years, with a 2 p.m. group and a 3 p.m. group meeting on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

The 2 p.m. group will play “ Sentimental Journey” Arranged by Paul Murtha and “You’re a Mean One Mr. Grinch” arranged by Mike Story.  Junior Gene Contreras has a trumpet solo on               “Sentimental Journey”  While “You’re a Mean One Mr. Grinch” features freshman Julius Par on Tenor sax and sophomore Maya Hinnefeld on trumpet.

The 3 p.m. ensemble brings to the stage “Christmas Time is Here” arranged by David Pugh and “Alligator Boogaloo” arranged by Terry White. Both songs feature several soloists. For “Christmas Time is Here” Senior Izabel Jayer on flute, junior Scott Fox on trombone, and sophomores Mark Hall, James Warlo, and Vanuk Ceu. Alligator Boogaloo Features Junior Isaac Jayer on tenor sax, senior Josh Morales on trumpet and sophomore Evan Phelps on trombone.

These ensembles will be performing their tunes on December 16th at 2 pm in the 6th-grade academy gym.