The Student News Site of Perry Meridian High School

FOCUS

FOCUS

FOCUS

Perched on the front row

( Left to Right) Estes, Garmon, Pruitt, and VanderWeide dress up for football Sectionals at Warren Central High School on Oct. 27, 2023. Photo provided by John VanderWeide

Any person looking through the stands of a PMHS sporting event will see a diverse and passionate crowd, and not long after, a few familiar voices will catch their attention and bring their eyes to the front row of the student section.
There, seniors Peyton VanderWeide, Peyton Pruitt, Carson Estes and Miles Garmon stand. Between red faces and lost voices, these seniors have witnessed firsthand the ups and downs of PMHS athletics over the past four years.
Friendship is one aspect behind their intense passion for Perry sports. They are not just showing up to support their school, but also their peers.
“Having that personal connection with the players helps me get more invested in the game,” VanderWeide said. “I can yell for them, cheer for them.”
The relationship between the sports programs at PMHS and the student body is exemplified by VanderWeide’s good friend and longtime wrestler and football player, senior Zach Harris.
“It’s always fun listening to the student section, and hearing my friends yell my name,” he said. “I would always get a laugh out of that.”
The proximity the front row provides for the boisterous crew has given the boys some memorable moments throughout the years. Not only cheering on their friends but also interacting with coaches, officials and anyone else who helps make these events possible.
“We yell at refs. We yell at players. We yell at coaches,” VanderWeide said.
While they have their disagreements, the group makes sure to keep the banter friendly.
“[The refs] go under a lot of harassment,” VanderWeide said. “Letting them know when they did something good can probably make their day.”
The four seniors have made a reputation for themselves and have even built up relationships with some of the refs, even going as far as striking up a conversation.
“One time during a game, we were informing the ref about a Purdue basketball game because he was a Purdue fan,” said VanderWeide.
These seniors have been rewarded with many great memories after attending countless sporting events. Estes reminisced on the pregame tailgates, tossing around the pigskin, playing lawn games and pre-game banter. Running scrimmages in the parking lot before the games is a way to have some friendly competition despite not being on a team.
“I love sports but can’t play due to health issues,” Estes said.

The PMHS student section cheers on the boys basketball team in their game against Martinsville on Jan. 19. (Damian Davis)

What comes to mind first for VanderWeide was this year’s 40-10 football victory over Southport. The play on the field, and the energy in the stands combined to make it an unforgettable night.
“The students packed the student section, you could barely move around,” VanderWeide said. “It was awesome destroying our rivals.”
In the senior class’ tenure at PMHS, they have seen the Falcons outscore the Cardinals 120-44. The crew believes they play a small role in this dominance.
“[Showing up] helps the players by showing we care about them,” Estes said. “It really just boosts their morale to help them succeed.”
For years they have watched rows behind the upperclassmen, now in their senior year, they have taken their spot in the front row of the bleachers and are soaking it up. They look to pass on the energy to younger falcons and inspire them to make the most out of their high school experience.