The Student News Site of Perry Meridian High School

FOCUS

FOCUS

FOCUS

Blue Crew inspires

Damian Davis
The student section roars in anticipation of the first home football game of the season against Franklin Central.

Loud student sections, school spirit and Falcon Pride are trademarks of PMHS. 

Blue Crew was started in 2004 by current English teacher and Falcon TV advisor Dana McNulty, then a high school junior, to help grow student excitement and involvement at school sporting events. After seeing the student section at a Greenwood High School basketball game, she decided, “We can do more.”

The club was organized the summer before her senior year and grew to become the largest club at the school.

“You could just see a sea of these same blue crew t-shirts everywhere,” McNulty said.

Back where it all started, McNulty continues to support Blue Crew and the spirit it brings to PMHS. It makes the games more interactive and enjoyable for the students. Junior Lydia Hartman helps lead the student section and Blue Crew today. “The student section,” Hartman said, “everyone wants to be there. It’s just a great atmosphere.”

That atmosphere extends beyond the student section and into the game as well. Many athletes still count on other students and Blue Crew to get them through a game. “The football team relies a lot on the student section,” junior football player and wrestler Andy Warren said, “If you guys are real hype, we are going to be real hype.” 

With the lasting effects on the student section, Blue Crew has built a culture at PMHS unparalleled by other schools and ingrained itself as an irreplaceable fixture in Falcon culture.