Ciampa strikes leadership in the soccer team

Senior Lindsey Ciampa, a center midfield player on the varsity soccer team since her freshman year and captain for the past two years, has grown as a leader and as a member of the team she now considers her family.
Ciampa has been playing soccer since she was three, following in the footsteps of her older sister, alumna Haleigh Ciampa. Haleigh was the varsity captain during her younger sister’s first year on the high school team and the reason for her perseverance as a soccer player.
Since last year, the girls soccer team has made a significant impact on changing their focus for their routines and mindset on the field.
From speed and agility training to foot skills training each week outside of team practice, Ciampa strives to constantly improve. During the season, she tries to eat healthier and encourages her teammates to do the same.
Ciampa considers the team’s best success thus far beating Southport.
“In the game we saw all of our hard work click and come together,” she says.
During the game at Decatur Central on Sept. 24, Ciampa shouted words of guidance and encouragement to teammates, increasing the positivity in the atmosphere and displaying her dedication to their success.
Sophomore Lauren Mervar, a left wing for the varsity squad, can attest to the efforts Ciampa puts in to improve the team’s environment.
“This year, I feel that with Lindsey being our captain, our culture as a team has drastically improved to become more of a sisterhood, reliant, and trustworthy group in which we can depend on each other,” Mervar says.
Mervar describes the improvement in hard work and dedication as a conscious choice from the players to be better than last year, but with the specific encouragement and help from Ciampa and the coaches.
In contrast, wins don’t come without downsides.
“The hardest part about practicing and getting better is getting up and coming to practice on your worst days,” Ciampa says. “We have really focused on connecting as a team and bringing positivity to the field. Coach Tobin Tyree has come back and helped part time and his experience has really helped us.”
Along with her past two years of leadership experience, Ciampa has also demonstrated her leadership during FLOTS, Falcon Leadership Opportunities Through Service. According to science teacher Chris Garrity, FLOTS needs selfless people who are here to give back to Perry Meridian High School.
“At one point Lindsey had to leave in the middle of camp,” he says. “We granted her permission to leave to go back for a soccer game, which we don’t normally do, and she got back as fast as she could so she could go back to her FLOTS responsibilities.That was pretty impressive. One minute she was gone, the next she was singing songs at the AMPhitheater.”
Ciampa has shown strength and persistence through her effort toward the success of the soccer team by spreading positivity and being a reliable captain. The progress of her endeavors is prevalent in her role as a leader. Not only do her coaches and teachers recognize this, but so do her fellow teammates.
“Lindsey especially has made a point to encourage positivity and compliment our exemplary playing which increases the bond between us,” Mervar says. “I really appreciate her effort and her means which she has led this year by.”