Former zombie hired as Perry’s newest English teacher

He performed at Universal Studios and appeared as a zombie on “The Walking Dead.” He sang backup for country singer Kenny Rogers and stocked shelves at Walmart. He even experienced homelessness.

But new English teacher Jeremiah Robinson has finally found his calling at Perry Meridian High School.

Robinson is already familiar with the school, and many might remember him substituting for teachers Neil Linville and Jacqui Sheehan in the past. He even student taught under Linville and EL teacher Kelly Harmon. But Robinson found out about the teaching position from Linville, his former mentor.

Before taking the job, he taught senior-level English and speech classes at Beech Grove High School. He was the sponsor of the Riley Dance Marathon and helped organize school events such as homecoming at Beech Grove. 

Although he loves school now, his own high school experience wasn’t the best. 

“If you look back at my transcript, you might laugh and question how I could ever become a teacher,” he says.

But looking back on his high school days now as a professional, his goal is to make school fun and give back to students. And that’s exactly why he came back to teaching. 

After a stint at Purdue University, he returned to his small hometown of Corunna, Indiana, just north of Fort Wayne, and worked a multitude of jobs. 

His first job gave him the opportunity to travel around the United States as a backup singer for Kenny Rogers. Then, he packed his bags and moved 18 hours away to Florida and auditioned for a barbershop quartet at Universal Studios, where he sang for several years. 

However, he knew deep inside he still wanted to give back, so he began college again at age 30, this time pursuing teaching. His main regret is that he didn’t come back to college and impact students sooner.

“Yes, I am a teacher,” he says, “but I’m human and I make mistakes, and in life you’re going to make mistakes. Ultimately, having this whole growth mindset is the foundation of what the school believes in, and I think that’s super important to keep persevering.” 

Due to the adversity he has faced in life, he feels he has a lot more in common with students than they might realize and can connect well with them.

He connects to students through weekly discussions called Feel Good Friday about adulthood and never giving up. As well as beginning class with a “dad joke” and making sure that his classroom keeps students interested in their education.

“Mr. Robinson makes learning fun, enjoyable and academically engaging,” sophomore Lydia Roman says. “In class, we were learning about William Shakespeare plays and how they were performed at the Globe Theater, and he brought in a VR headset so we could have a 3D view of the theater. It made learning interesting.” 

Robinson has an optimistic outlook on his future at the school. 

“A lot of things excite me about Perry,” he says. “There are a lot of opportunities to engage with kids here. It’s a very diverse school district, and I’m stoked to begin making my mark.”