The Student News Site of Perry Meridian High School

FOCUS

FOCUS

FOCUS

Senioritis Outbreak

Senior Linda Kimi sleeps during her advisory period.
Sui Par

With the end of the first semester right around the corner, students have rushed to turn in those final assignments and are preparing for finals week. However, for seniors, this time of year can be extra challenging. With the overwhelming wait for college letters and preparing for graduation, they also have to dodge one last bout of senioritis.

“In the beginning of the year, I was very motivated and was applying to colleges,” senior Sui Par said, “but it’s kind of like what now? I already completed the most important part of my highschool years.”

Par is not alone feeling like there is nothing particularly important left to work on. After all of the effort to apply for dream colleges, finish internships or prepare for the military, high school can begin to feel like a drain.

“As school goes on, you just get more and more burned out, especially for seniors, it is hard,” senior Liam Sullivan said, “It feels like you’ve already gone through all the difficult stuff for so long that now you’re ready for a change or a break.”

While the effects of senioritis may not be severe yet, the second semester quickly becomes a slog. Between prom, beautiful spring weather and a looming walk across the stage, classroom engagement hits all-time lows. Some seniors try to find motivations and acknowledge the importance of finishing off strong.

“It’s definitely a mental push,” Par said, “I keep having to remind myself that there are colleges that reject students because of their decline in the second semester.”

Other seniors do not want to miss out on their final opportunities to enjoy the high school experience. “I feel like it has a lot to do with staying involved in school,” Sullivan said, “All the class work comes easier to you when you’re involved in a club or a sport.”

Team 24’s last winter final’s week starts Monday with an even block day. Finals will take place Wednesday and Thursday with final grade reports in Skyward Friday at noon.