The Student News Site of Perry Meridian High School

FOCUS

FOCUS

FOCUS

Be my galentine

It is that sad, cold time of year again. Holidays like Christmas, Kwanzaa, Hanukkah and New Years have all passed, and you are back at school. The next break is nine weeks away, and with no fun winter formal to look forward to, things seem bleak. However, there is one saving grace, Valentine’s Day.
I know, I know, but hear me out. While the holiday is seemingly exclusive to the friends you third wheel because you are all alone, it can easily be turned into a cute girls’ night, or even a self-care day. So, humor me while I throw out some ideas for my personal favorite day of the year, regardless of whether you do them with the girls, your significant other, or even just by yourself.
Maybe it is just me, but Valentine’s Day immediately makes me think of sweet treats. Getting a group of friends together and having everyone make their own charcuterie board with sweet treats, then throwing on some romcoms and getting a little taste of everything. Similarly, there are some pretty cute ideas on social media for other easy treats. Baking or buying a cake, then instead of cutting it, stamping wine glasses into it, and adding your own toppings into your glass. Melting chocolate or peanut butter then pouring it over strawberries and letting it freeze is another easy, Tiktok famous snack option. Heart-shaped pizzas, cookies or cupcakes in pink and red are all classics as well, and they can be fun for a group of friends to do together.
If you are not feeling the DIY mood on the 14th, there are a few restaurants that have their own traditions for the holiday. If you are craving tiny cheeseburgers and chicken rings, White Castle puts out tablecloths and lights candles for a romantic Valentine dinner when you dine in. But if you are more into a night at home with your girls or even a significant other, there are plenty of drive-thru and takeout options as well. Back to the sweet treat idea, Krispy Kreme and Dunkin’ both offer heart-shaped donuts for the occasion. If you’re looking for something a little bigger, Dairy Queen and Baskin Robbins have their own Valentine’s Day ice cream cakes. Baskin Robins has conversation hearts and chocolate box-shaped cakes that are adorable, and come in all different sizes depending on if you plan on eating the whole thing yourself while wallowing, or sharing it with some friends.
Enough with the sweets, because there are some promising contenders for the savory side. Chick-fil-A has its classic heart trays of nuggets, fries and even chicken minis if you are an early bird and want breakfast. But, if you are feeling fancy, Buca di Beppo serves a family-style heart-shaped lasagna that could easily serve a couple of friends.
But maybe you’re not big on food, and if that is the case I am sorry you read through the first 400 words because they are all about food. So what about a valentines self-care day? Alone, or even with a group of friends, get a cute pair of pjs, some face masks and make time for yourself. Throw on “The Notebook” or “How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days,” maybe even turn it into a cute Pinterest-worthy photoshoot and you have had a productive Valentine’s Day.
Whether you spend it driving around on the hunt for every heart-shaped cake and nugget tray or if you have a night in with your girls, make the most of this Valentine’s Day. After all, it is all you have to look forward to until St. Patrick’s Day.