Teams prepare for fall season

The cross country team has many returning varsity runners, such as seniors Zach Bunnell, Oswaldo Gil-Ceja and Chas Stoner, as well as sophomore Elijah Webb. The team also has 10 freshmen. The team’s goal this year is to make it to semi-state, and also contend for a Marion County championship.

Girls cross country has been running all summer and hopes to compete for a sectional championship. While they lost a handful of seniors, they have 9 juniors returning to the team. Key runners include juniors Emmy Michael and Emma Hendrix, as well as seniors Carley Bond and Megan Hurst.

The girls golf team is in full swing, already competing in multiple tournaments. Key players are freshman Anna Kavannaugh, juniors Claire Sampson and Ha’ani Hurst, as well as sophomores Tanisha Downer and Olivia Lusch. They’re looking for a third consecutive Marion County title , and will contend for a Mid-State conference championship.

The boys tennis Team underwent  a coaching change this summer, as head coach Daniel Schoch and assistant coach Nate Orme take over the fall season. Senior Sajin Smith, arguably the best Perry tennis player in program history, will fight for an individual state title after last year’s semi-final appearance. . Other key players include senior Victor Barona, junior Blake Deaton, and sophomores Isaac Lian and Enzio Salemi. The team aims to be sectional and conference champs this year.

Girls volleyball is looking to bring home at least 20 wins and contend for a sectional championship with their handful of returning athletes. Key players are juniors GraceAnn Hartman, Sally Mortensen, Molly Shannon, sophomore Lauren Crittenden and seniors Savanna Pipes, Par Sung and Sara Allen. 

Girls soccer is focusing on its younger and newer players this year and cultivating success for years to come. They’re also creating more of a team atmosphere, participating in team bonding events on a regular basis. Key players are juniors Lauren Mervar, Riley Bradbury and Chloe Campbell as well as seniors Annabelle Hock and Paulyna Gorgievski

Boys soccer returns many varsity players, and head coach Machy Magdalinos says he sees a lot more talent and chemistry coming from his players than he’s seen on previous teams. If  players develop character, work ethic and maturity, wins will come as a result. Among the team’s goals is contending for a state title.  The current captains are seniors Luciano Salemi, Sergio Aguilar and Bawi Cung Lian.